Sunday 23 June 2013

The quest begins!

After some encouragement and realizing that Facebook doesn't provide me with the medium that I need to fully express my love of pizza and to properly evaluate each and every sacred pizza that I eat, I have decided to create a blog of my pizza adventures around Italy and beyond.

This weeks adventures involve leaving Rome and traveling to Tivoli where emperors and popes/cardinals had their villas.  After exploring Villa D'Este which is a world heritage site and very much worth the trip (with incredible fountains and gardens) we went down the street to a little pizzeria called Bar di something.


The pizza was pretty good.  There were 8 of us and we were in a small nice room in the back of the restaurant.  The service was pretty normal.  Price was 8 Euros.  It was a 4 cheese pizza.  It was a little salty and there was the usual lack of huge amounts of gorgonzola but overall I was very happy for a touristy place.  The cheeses had distinct flavours and some of them were very firm so it gave different textures and flavours for every bite.  The crust was also not burnt and was thin without being papery.



Price 8/10
Service 7/10
Pizza 7/10

Overall 7.5/10.  Worth going back if I'm in the area although the pizza selection was quite minimal.


The second of this week's entries is from Dar Poeta.  I decided to give this place another chance due to its popularity.  Although it was good last time, it wasn't amazing and the hour and a half wait wasn't worth it.  However this time we went early and walked right in.  I decided to get the Super buffalo pizza which had artichoke, Buffalo mozzarella, tomato sauce, olives and pecorino cheese.  It was definitely better than the last pizza and worth coming back for.  There is a huge list of options so if there is no line or you get take out then I highly recommend it.

Cost 8/10
Service 7/10
Pizza 8/10

Overall 8/10

It loses points for being a little salty and the artichokes were too strong as they were very big chunks.  If they were a little smaller and spread out then you would be able to taste the flavours of the other parts.  Olives also didn't taste the freshest.  However it's currently in the top 10 pizza list so far.  Great location in Trastevere with a fun ambiance outside.  Great company as well.

I've been averaging 2 pizzas a week which I am hoping to continue with the help of friends and pizza wives to accompany me so I hope to continue the blog regularly.  I'll update the pizza reviews from the past 2 months when I have the chance.



0 comments:

Post a Comment